TMT Steel Bar (Saria/Rod) Manufacturing Industry. Production of TMT Rebars (Reinforced Bars), TMT Rods. TMT Steel
TMT bars or Thermo-Mechanically Treated bars are high-strength reinforcement bars having a tough outer core and a soft inner core. Thermo-Mechanically Treated bars or TMT bars are widely used for different construction projects. Made from high strength steel, TMT bars possess several qualities that make them the most preferred material for various construction projects.
With a unique metallurgical process that combines work hardening along with heat-treatment to create robust and high strength bars from low-carbon steel, TMT bars have a great demand.
Advantages of using TMT Bars
- Great Ductility and Bend Ability: One of the distinct advantages of using TMT bars is that they have great ductility and bend ability properties. Because of this, one can create pre-welded meshes that are used to eliminate the need of manual binding. This brings down construction and fabrication time.
- Malleability: TMT bars are most preferred because of their flexible nature
- Resistant to Earthquakes: TMT bars are resistant to earthquakes thanks to their soft pearlite core. Because of this, they can bear seismic and dynamic loading. TMT bars boast of high fatigue resistance to seismic loads because of high ductility and therefore they are widely used in earthquake prone areas.
- Great Bonding Strength: Another major advantage of TMT bars is their superior bonding strength. There are external ribs running across the entire length of these bars and this fosters great bonding strength between the concrete and the bar. Fire resistant: Fire safety of a structure is one of the primary concerns for engineers and residents. TMT bars boast of high thermal stability and can resist temperatures ranging from 400 to 600 degrees Celsius. Thus, they are perfect for resisting fire and provide safety.
- Fine Welding Features: TMT rebars (having low carbon content) can be used for butt and other weld joints without reduction in strength at the weld joints.
- Resistant to Corrosion: The TMT process gives these bars anti-corrosive properties. These bars undergo controlled water-cooling process that resists formation of coarse carbides. Coarse carbides are the main reasons for the corrosive nature of a common bar. Absence of surface stresses is another reason for these bars to be corrosion resistant. Thus, using them increases the longevity of a structure.
- Cost-Effective and Malleable: High tensile strength and better elongation make these bars highly cost-effective than normal bars. They are easy to transport and malleable.
Application of TMT bars
TMT bars find their application in many avenues. They are used for constructing:
- High-rise apartments
- Industrial structures
The demand for low-cost reinforcement bars of higher yield strength has gone up exponentially over the last few decades. Increasing project scales with, ranging from spectacular high-rises, to mammoth dams and bridges spanning for miles together, the fascination for building ‘mega’ structures meant that plenty of research went into finding low-cost reinforcement bars of higher yield strength.
The sale of construction materials including TMT bars are estimated to grow at a Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 6.18% in terms of volume. Currently, the size of the Indian construction industry is USD 2.8 billion. Recently the government has announced an early completion of 10 million rural houses by the end of 2018, ahead of 2018 deadline and 11.8 million urban houses by 2020 instead or 2022 deadline under the “Housing for All” initiative. This will require huge amount of TMT bars and we expect multifold growth in demand in the coming years.
Demand Forecast of Steel Rebars
Increase in demand for low cost reinforcement bars in construction projects such as dams and bridges drives the global thermo-mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars market. Rise in government support for the production of steel and coal propels the thermo-mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars market. Thermo-mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars are preferred over torsional bars, as these have high strength and ductility. This is a key factor boosting the demand for global thermo-mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars market. However, technical constraints such as the properties such as ductility and strength associated with high-grade thermo-mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars are anticipated to hamper the global thermo-mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars market.
Based on dimension, the global thermo-mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars market can be segmented into 12mm, 68mm, 812mm, and others. The selection of dimensions of the steel bar depends on its use. Thermo-mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars are used in construction of the foundation, which bears the load of the building, beams, and slabs. Thermo-mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars help withstand natural calamities such as windstorms and earthquakes.
Key players operating in the global thermo-mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars market include Arcelor Mittal Zenica, Balkan Steel Engineering Ltd., Essar Steel, HBIS Group, HUS Ltd., Metalopromet d. o. o. Kula, MMD, SIDERAL S.H.P.K., SIJ Group, and TATA Steel.
Iron & Steel Industry in India
India was the world’s third-largest steel [email protected] and third-largest steel consumer in 2017%. The growth in the Indian steel sector has been driven by domestic availability of raw materials such as iron ore and cost-effective labour. Consequently, the steel sector has been a major contributor to India’s manufacturing output.
India’s finished steel consumption grew at a CAGR of 5.69 per cent during FY08-FY18 to reach 90.68 MT. India’s crude steel and finished steel production increased to 102.34 MT and 104.98 MT in 2017-18, respectively.
In 2017-18, the country’s finished steel exports increased 17 per cent year-on-year to 9.62 million tonnes (MT), as compared to 8.24 MT in 2016-17. Exports and imports of finished steel stood at 4.33 MT and 5.41 MT, during Apr-Nov 2018 (P).
Iron and steel is basis for laying the vibrant Indian industry. Production of steel has come to exist as an index of a country’s potential, industrial and economic growth.
Being a core sector, steel industry tracks the overall economic growth in the long term. Also, steel demand, being derived from other sectors like automobiles, consumer durables and infrastructure, its fortune is dependent on the growth of these user industries. The Indian steel sector enjoys advantages of domestic availability of raw materials and cheap labour. Iron ore is also available in abundant quantities. This provides major cost advantage to the domestic steel industry.
Global Iron & Steel Market
Global iron & steel market is expected to witness rapid growth owing to strong demand from construction and transportation sector over the forecast period. Rapid industrialization and urbanization, particularly in the emerging regions such as Asia Pacific and Central & South America are expected to drive the overall iron & steel market.
The construction industry, by far, has been the leading consumer of steel and iron, using up more of the materials than even wood and cement. However, steel and iron producers are now compelled to compete with new construction materials such as ceramics and polymers. This has enabled the production of lightweight steel and iron products that are also high on tensile strength. The engineering industry in general – and the heavy engineering industry in particular – has relied on ferrous materials for several years now and continues to do despite the advent of an assortment of newer material varieties.
Major iron and steel producing countries are China, India, Brazil, Japan, Australia, South Korea, Germany, and Ukraine. Asia Pacific is estimated to witness fastest growth rate and is thus poised to dominate the global market. Economies such China, India, and other South-East Asian economies are presumed to lead the regional market. Developed regions such as North America and Europe are projected to experience a positive market outlook owing to considerable economic revival over the forecast period.
Major industry participants in the iron & steel market include Bridon International Ltd., ArcelorMittal S.A., Kobe Steel Ltd., Insteel Industries Inc., N.V. Bekaert SA, Steel Authority of India Ltd. POSCO, Tata Steel Ltd., Rio Tinto, BHP, Vale, Tree Island Industries Ltd., and Leggett & Platt Incorporated.